Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Friday, June 29, 2012

Cyndi Lauper v. Madonna

Yup. Today, I’ll briefly write about these two music icons and give you a diddy from Secondhand Shoes.

Both gals showed up in 1983. But it was Cyndi Lauper who stuck in my head. There was something special about her. And no, it wasn’t the funny-colored hair or the goofy lips she used to make.

cyndi lauper

It was her passion. The girl had soul when she sang. It all came from her heart.

And then there was Madonna and still is.

madonna

I never did hear the passion in her voice about what she sang about but she did drool money, money, money... Oh, and I can’t forget SEX. She was a marketable exhibitionist which meant she’d do anything for fame and fortune.

Personally, I prefer Cyndi Lauper any day. She literally glowed when she performed like a song-angel. Still does.

And Madonna well…she’s no angel in my book.

Diddy time:

Some scissors sat on a table in the open break room. I looked around to see if anyone was watching. Nope. I grabbed them and hurried to the bathroom.

I slipped the shirt over my head and slid my arms into the short sleeves. Madonna. Cyndi Lauper. Today I can dress punk and not feel out of place. Gram’s so smart.

I cut the lower half of my dress above my knees. Took that material and cut some strips. They’d make a nice belt and bow for the top of my head. I’m sure Madonna and Cyndi Lauper would think it cool to have a bow displayed over a ball cap. Why not?

I tied a nice sash around the waist of the large-sized shirt and rolled my sleeves up. So Madonna, with one long laced arm instead of laced leggings. Next, I tied up the ball cap with a big girlie bow, something nineteen-twentyish. I looked into the mirror. They’ll never notice me in this.

Shelly Arkon © 2012

27 comments:

  1. Showing my age as Madonna doesn't measure up to people like Dinah Shore or Ella. No last name needed for Ella. Whitney Houston had all the possibilities and then did drugs.

    Your character really thinks she won't be noticed dressed like that? Okay, another different crowd. Interesting in a funny way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a total 80's child and I was all about Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. I had all their cassettes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an 80's girl and liked both of them...I always wished that I could dress like both of them...wild and crazy...but I didn't have the money and the hair and the clothes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more partial to Cyndi lauper than Madonna but their clothes were great.

      Delete
  4. I have recordings by both, but mostly Madonna. I think Madonna is very talented and I really like her songs, but I don't care for Madonna herself that much. Don't know much about Lauper, but I don't think she's been as wacky as Madonna.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyndi has a passion about her work. She's not an exhibitionist.

      Delete
  5. I love it! I bet you were the cutest little 80's child ever. I was totally 70's but I dressed in 50's and 60's stuff from the thrift store or my mom's closet, because I hated 70's style. In the 80's I wore suits. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never cared for the 70s style of clothing either. They were ugly and gaudy. But I loved the 80s. However, I dressed more like a Sandra Dee.

      Delete
  6. Terrific passage, Shelly. I've enjoyed Secondhand Shoes.


    I think Cyndi Lauper comes across as eccentric and yet much more genuine and down to earth. It would seem to make her much more likeable.

    Madonna's every actions in life amount to one thing: "pay attention to me." It's very shallow, very superficial, and gets tired really fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 47, Madonna has no more appeal. She lost it with me a year later after her first album but Cyndi is timeless.

      Delete
  7. I'd have to vote for Madonna, maybe more my age group. Oh, if only I could bottle the secret to the success of both Madonna and Cyndi. No doubt, hard work and tunnel vision is the answer... and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Cyndi in concert as an opening act to Cher. Cyndi rocked the place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep Cyndi is awesome. She could belt some lyrics with total soul.
    Madonna, not so much. But I do love Madonna's music too cuz she's always moving with the times and her songs are just fun. SOmetimes girls just need fun stuff and Madonna taps into that.
    Time After Time is my fave Cyndi song tho. I grew up listening to both of them. ANd Madonna is fab in concert---will make you dance the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a person, I think I would like Cyndi better, but I love her songs. IF, I don't have to look at Madonna, I enjoy her songs too. Her voice has a special tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa:

      Cyndi shines something that Madonna doesn't.

      Delete
  11. I have been surprised that Madonna is still out there doing the same kind of over the top stuff she always has. I thought she might have grown up a bit.

    I enjoy seeing Cyndi from time to time. I like her as an actress and singer.

    I like your ditty. It made me smile to picture the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne:

      Thank you. And I'm surprised Madonna still does the act she does, too. It's like she's got something to prove.

      Delete
  12. Cyndi is very talented, and seems to be more down to earth. I still can't get used to Madonna's new overly dramatic speaking voice! Great passage Shelly! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's no doubting that Cindy Lauper and Madonna were both one-of-a-kinds in their own way. I feel like Madonna never really grew up. She's 54 and she's still flashing her breasts on stage during her current tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with you. But sadly, sex sells. It shouldn't but it does.

      Delete
  14. Madonna is all about sex, and now she's just pathetic. Cyndi Lauper however is a real artist, and she just keeps getting better with time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm dying to know what you think.