Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Sunday, May 11, 2014

Progress: It's a Big Party Pooper

I debated on whether or not to write this post. It's sad to know that our opinions or beliefs could get us fired. But I'm of the belief that we're going to see a day in this country where people will be killed for what they believe in. There's a lot of animosity toward certain subjects. You can pick and choose which one. There are plenty to go around.

Today, I'm going to rant about Saturday and Sunday and our holidays. You see, I had to show up for work today(it's Sunday evening as I write this piece), knowing that I would be sitting and staring at the walls and my fellow hairdressers. WHAT A BORING WAY TO SPEND MOTHER'S DAY!!! I almost fell asleep and toppled out of my chair. I did a total of six haircuts in six hours along with everyone else. None of us made any money...well...except maybe the BIG CORPORATION. What is the deal with these organizations where they feel they have to squeeze the last dime out of everyone...? ON A HOLIDAY, mind you! It's bad enough that these CORPORATE SCOUNDRELS are now seizing our right to celebrate Thanksgiving. What next? Christmas? Easter?

Has America become so greedy that time with God, family, and friends aren't important anymore?

I really miss back in the day when the majority of people had the weekends off. People either went to church or synagogue. Practically no one had to go to work on a Sunday except waitresses and doctors and nurses. Gas stations weren't even open back then.

I miss being able to chill out with my friends. I miss those big Sunday dinners at Grandma's house. In fact, I used to daydream of the day that I would have the big dinners at my place. NOT!

I miss the old way of celebrating Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. It certainly wasn't at the mall  or at work. It was spent with family and friends and meditating on what that specific holiday meant to each one of us.

And we wonder why we're stressed. The American Way with all it's progress and CHANGE has made this nation sick if not sick and tired. Hypertension, heart disease, stress-related disease...family problems...YUP! I could go on and on. But I won't.

I hope everyone has a happy week and that you hug your family everyday.

Please feel free to rant about whatever you want in the comment box.

Hugs and chocolate, all!
Shelly





20 comments:

  1. I agree, Shelly! I wish we could go back to the days when businesses were closed on Sundays and holidays, when employees' beliefs were respected so that they didn't have to work on their holy days.

    Political correctness will eventually be our downfall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting creepy out there. Literally!

      Delete
  2. I'm a nurse, so I work my share of holidays no matter what. I agree, though. It's getting ridiculous in the retail workplace.

    Hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your job has to be the hardest one ever. You're pretty much on call, but I understand why.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean.

    The store where I work is open on Easter Sunday. My boss does a lottery to pull names to see who will work it.

    And every Thanksgiving, we open earlier and earlier.

    Makes me sad. And tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our boss makes everyone work and does a lottery to see who get's to go home an hour early.

      Delete
  4. If people did not shop or go to any of the places that are open they would close. I remember being in Salt Lake City an Christmas Eve. We decided to have dinner at a nice restaurant with my sister.

    That did not work. We started looking for a nice restaurant at about 6:30 or so. We saw two that were actually open and they were planning on closing at about 8:00 o'clock. Everyone was going home to be with whoever it was they wanted to be with. We found one place with one table that let us in just a few minutes before closing.

    I was sure there would be a lot of places open in Washington, D.C. I don't know though because we live here and always stay home.

    It would be truly amazing if enough people would ignore the businesses who open on Saturday, Sundays and holidays. It might look like it did on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If peeps didn't fall for the temptations, all these businesses would close.

      Delete
  5. You are SO RIGHT, Shelly.... This country has changed tremendously!

    And it wasn't that long ago either. I almost stroked out when I heard stores were open Thanksgiving day! I promise you Christmas will be next....

    How much money do they corporations really need? They are already worth BILLIONS....

    I miss those days, too. WE were lucky to be raised at a time where weekends were filled with family fun. Holidays were truly an event, where we'd prepare for weeks. Each holiday meant something!

    It wasn't a whirlwind to Christmas. Heck, we never even put up our decorations until the first week of December! And the tree not until the 15th!

    Now, at Thanksgiving so many people have the tree up and throw it down the day after Christmas or before New Year's day.

    Anyway. So sorry you had to work Mother's day. That truly sucks...

    Take care.... sending you a HUGE cyber hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, our enlightened society sees taking time to honor God as stomping on someone else's "rights".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It does. I see a lot of hateful news shows regarding this.

      Delete
  7. It's not as if the place can run a profit on a day like that, if you're cutting a grand total of six haircuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. But there is no logical reasoning behind this, just pure greed.

      Delete
  8. Well, this year I was treated to visits from several friends and two of my children. I also had phone calls from some who couldn't stop by to say Happy Mother's Day. I didn't work. I played and talked and loved every minute. Next year it's your turn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice. I hope I get it off next year. My 93 yr old grandmother doesn't understand why I have to work.

      Delete
  9. Oh, yeah. Corporate greed!
    Chocolate hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tired of the greed in this country.

      Chocolate hugs back.

      Delete
  10. Shelly, I have my fingers crossed that things have gone so far that they will soon begin to swing back the other way. Week-ends were spent with family, Grandparents had everyone over for holiday dinner. Would you believe that when dinner was called, someone immediately turned OFF the television!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want those times back. America has gone crazy.

      Delete

I'm dying to know what you think.