Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Valentine's Tribute: The Other Woman

I had a childhood friend. We were eleven.  Her name was Pam, and she had a boyfriend. Timmy. And boy did I covet him.

But I knew where to draw the line. It was okay to wish but not touch or take. I valued Pam as my friend. 

Whenever he came around, I took off. I figured it was the most respectful thing to do. The guy gave me every kind of fluttery stomach critter. Not to mention, my cheeks went fiery hot. So I'm pretty sure my face was red whenever he came around. And never in my entire life did I want to break my friend's heart or our friendship. Some how I had to shake whatever feelings I may've had for this kid. Besides, his mom was a little creepy. Saddle shoes, a bouffant, and peddle pushers were her signatures. It was 1976. Who dressed like that then?

The summer before seventh grade as I made my escape on my bike, Timmy got on his and followed me.

"Hey!" he says. "I want a kiss."

And I tried my best to ignore him by peddling as fast as I could. "Go away."

"You know you love me." He gained on me.

My heart throbbed in my ears, I couldn't believe he knew. I never told him. So I  pedaled faster and faster. "Leave me alone." At eleven, I didn't want to be known as a home wrecker.

Before I could race down a one lane alley, Timmy had passed me, spun in front of me, and smacked my front tire.

I went crashing down to the pebbly-dirt drive. There, Timmy leaned down and took advantage of the moment. He squished his slimy lips on mine.

"What are you doing?" I heard Pam say.

I gasped and glanced over my shoulder, swiping away the slobbery evidence. And my first ever kiss from a boy.

"I'm breaking up with you," Timmy says, straightening. "I've got a new girl."

Pam's eyes went from him to me. 

I shook my head. "I didn't do anything. I swear." Friendship meant more than having what I thought I wanted. After that day, I never spoke to him. But before summer ended, he moved away with his family. So that made that easy.

Pam and I stayed friends all through high school. Sadly, after she married and I did the same, we lost contact.

I hope you all are enjoying my romantic stories.

Hug and chocolate, all!
Shelly

6 comments:

  1. That's a great story. Friendship is a treasure that often gets buried in our past.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The guy gave me every kind of fluttery stomach critter."

    I love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timmy, that is what we call bad, bad form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can blame his creepy mother for that one. She had no fashion sense.

      Delete
  4. Shelly: You were lucky to have such a good friend. And you know how to tell a story.

    ReplyDelete

I'm dying to know what you think.